Thank You Email Post Interview
After an interview, you want to stay fresh on the interviewer's mind. Writing a thank you email can give you that extra push forward in landing the job. Not only does it show respect and professionalism, but it also shows how much you would like to work for their company. Here is the core of what you need to know.
What to say in a thank you email after an interview
- Thank them for giving you this opportunity.
- Mention something specific about the interview. This gives it a personal feeling. It avoids sounding like an email template that was just sent out to a mass of companies.
- Express your interest for the position available.
- You can offer for them to contact you if they have any further questions or if they would like any material demonstrating your skills.
- Close with “I look forward to hearing from you soon” or something similar.
When to send a follow-up email after an interview
- The optimal time to send a thank you email after an interview is one business day after the interview. If you interviewed on Friday send it on that following Monday.
- Aim for lunchtime
Who to send a thank you email to
- Send a thank you email to everyone who interviewed you. If you are interviewed by multiple people, gather business cards at the end of the interview.
- Avoid using the same thank you email for each interviewer. Personalize each one.
Other thank you email tips
- Keep the email brief and to the point.
- Use a professional subject line
“Thank you- Job Title”
“Thank you for your time”
“Great speaking with you”
- Always proofread, proofread, proofread
- Be professional
Thank you email post interview sample
“Good Morning/ Good Afternoon <Interview’s name>,
I want to thank you for taking the time to speak with me <yesterday/Friday> about the <job> position. I was a pleasure to have the chance to learn more about the team, position, and company. Based on your company culture and position requirements we discussed, I am very interested in working for <company.>
If you have any questions or would like any follow-up material please do not hesitate to contact me.
<attached is a copy of my portfolio.>OR <Below are links to my online portfolio, the website I redesigned, the social media I managed, etc.> If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thank you again for this opportunity. I look forward to hearing from you.